Renting with Linley & Simpson

Linley & Simpson can offer you an excellent service from some of the best staff in the business. With a network of branches across North, East, South and West Yorkshire - we're all backed up with the resources, knowledge and experience of the Region's No. 1 specialist letting agency.

Are you renting for the first time?

Whether renting or buying, moving house is classed as one of the most stressful events in your life. At Linley & Simpson our main aim is to make the moving process as easy and stress free as possible. Below you will find some useful resources to try make the moving journey an enjoyable one for you and your family.

Our top tips for renting a property

  1. Check your finances and work out what your monthly budget is, do your research. Take a look at our tenants guide for more help
  2. Find the right property for you
  3. Create your shortlist of potential properties
  4. Book your viewings and apply for the property you want
  5. Once accepted, the referencing process will begin
  6. Follow our moving tips for a stress free move
  7. Enjoy your new home – use our tips for check out and maintenance tips guides to help ensure you have a smooth move when you leave

No-deposit tenancies

We also offer No Deposit Scheme tenancies. Read our detailed NDS guide for more information.

Tenant application form

Found your property? Ready to get started? You can apply for one of our rental properties through our online form.

Get Started

Report A Repair

Click the relevant button below to let us know of your problem. We will aim to resolve your situation as soon as possible.



Already applied for a property? Take a look at our application journey to see how we go from application to move in.

  1. Apply online here.
  2. Your application lands with one of our property experts in branch and they contact the landlord to discuss your application
  3. Your application is either provisionally agreed, subject to referencing and checks or declined
  4. At this stage you will be asked to pay a holding deposit. This will be one weeks rent
  5. If it is provisionally agreed, your application will be passed to our Tenancy Progression Team to complete your application. You will receive an acceptance letter from Linley & Simpson and your application will go to our referencing provider Goodlord to complete your references. You will also be asked to prove your identity
  6. Once your referencing is returned successfully we will be able to confirm a move in date
  7. You will then be asked to provide the deposit. The deposit is normally equivalent to 5 weeks rent
  8. MOVE IN – when you move in you will be given a detailed inventory. Make sure you check this and discuss any differences with your branch

You can find out more by downloading our tenants guide below!

Tenant guide icon

Tenant Guide

Our Tenant guide takes you through the different stages when renting a property providing tips to help you with your search, advice about your responsibilities as a tenant and guidance for the end of your tenancy.

View details

Moving tips icon

Moving Tips

Moving house can be a stressful time, use our useful checklist to help make your journey smoother.

View details

Tips for Check Out

We really want our tenants to receive as much of their deposits back as possible, so we have devised an essential checklist for the end of your tenancy and some top tips for you.

View details

Maintenance Tips for Tenants

If you experience any minor maintenance issues during your tenancy, please follow these helpful tips from our Property Maintenance team.

View details

No Deposit Option

VIP property alerts

Get the latest rental properties meeting your search criteria straight to your inbox with our VIP Property Alerts.

Sign up

Our tenants frequently asked questions

Does it matter whether the property is fully managed or let only?

If your chosen property is fully managed, then our in-house Property Managers or centralised maintenance team will be your first point of contact for all maintenance and repair issues and we will act on behalf of the landlord. Let Only or Landlord Managed means that we find tenants for the property and arrange the paperwork, then the Landlord takes over the management and holds your deposit or pays it into a protected scheme. Most properties are fully managed and most of our Let Only clients are well-known to us. Your rights are protected either way.

What do you mean by furnished or unfurnished?

Each property is obviously different but generally speaking unfurnished means you can expect carpets, curtains and white goods. Whilst furnished often includes all the essential furnishings required to move in straight away apart from minor kitchen equipment and bedding. City apartments or short term lets are usually more comprehensively furnished. We will provide an inventory showing exactly what is included with each fully managed property.

How binding is the tenancy agreement I enter into?

A tenancy agreement is a legally binding document. You will be committed to paying rent until the end of the agreed term and you could be liable to legal action if you break the terms of the agreement. If your circumstances should change for any reason during your tenancy, we will approach the Landlord on your behalf and discuss the possible solutions but you should always assume at the outset that you will be committed for the duration of the Agreement.

How much are Linley & Simpson's fees?

Once you have been provisionally accepted by the landlord (subject to references and contract) the Holding Deposit becomes payable. It will not be returned should you provide false or misleading information, fail a Right to Rent check, unilaterally withdraw your application or fail to take all reasonable steps to enter into a tenancy agreement within the agreed timescale. The Holding Deposit will be ONE WEEK'S RENT. You can see all our fees here.

Do I need insurance?

YES! You should consider taking out insurance against any damage you might accidentally cause to the Landlord's contents, buildings and fixtures and fittings. It's all too easy to drop the iron on the carpet or spill red wine. The Landlord covers the building and his own contents against normal perils such as fire, flood or theft but not yours. We can provide you with information on contents insurance. Alternatively, you may choose your own insurance provider.

What about pets?

Most landlords are not keen on allowing pets but if you raise the issue at the outset we will gladly approach the landlord on your behalf.

What references will you ask for?

In all cases we will ask for your address history so that we can carry out a search via a credit reference agency. We will also approach your current landlord or agent (if you are renting) as well as obtaining a written reference from your employer. If you are self-employed we will ask for your accountants details and/or recent accounts. We have special provisions in place for overseas tenants. If you think your situation is unusual, just ask our staff.

When might I need a guarantor?

If we feel your income is lower than that required for the rent in question or if you are returning to study for example, we could ask for a guarantor to support your tenancy. This is a serious commitment, as the guarantor will be as responsible as the tenant for all monies due and obligations agreed for the tenancy. Guarantors need to be earning sufficiently to cover both their own financial commitments as well as your rent and we will reference them in the same way as the actual Tenant.

How much is the deposit and will I get it back?

The deposit is normally equivalant to 5 weeks rent. So a rent of £500pcm will require a deposit of £576.90. Where we manage the property, the deposit is held in a bonded client account in accordance with ARLA and government regulations. This means that it is protected both during and after your tenancy and when you leave we will negotiate any proposed deductions helping Tenant and Landlord to reach agreement. All deposits now have to be protected by law so if you are considering renting through a private landlord or another agent, ensure you satisfy yourself that they are complying by asking them which Tenancy Deposit Scheme they are registered with.

How do I pay my rent?

Rent is paid monthly in advance by standing order from your bank. This is a worry-free way of ensuring you never fall behind in your rental payments. Be sure to tell us if your circumstances change, for instance you change banks or your employment situation changes as we can then help you to protect your tenancy. The last thing we want is for you to fall into arrears.

How much money do I need to move into a property?

Before your tenancy begins we require the first month's rent and deposit in cleared funds. You can pay by Debit card or bank transfer. You will be given details in writing before taking up the tenancy.

Who pays the council tax and other bills?

All utility bills are your responsibility except where agreed otherwise in the Tenancy Agreement. You must set up your accounts with your chosen suppliers upon moving in and close those accounts at the end.

If you have viewed one of our properties and now wish to formally apply, please visit our Residential Letting Application page.

What our tenants say...

Protect what matters to you

Moving into a new home is exciting, and it's easy to forget just how many possessions you have until it comes to packing. But what if they're damaged by fire, theft, flood, or water damage? Or what if you accidentally damage any fixtures, fittings, or property you're liable for under your tenancy agreement?

HomeLet could help you put things right along the way — one simple, hardworking policy designed specifically for tenants like you.

Home Let Tenants Contents Insurance banner
The Property Ombudsman
NAEA Propertymark
ARLA Propertymark
On the Market January 2015
Martin House Logo